World-class solution to monitor and measure your alarm system performance in accordance with current standards and guidelines.
GrayMatter offers alarm management solutions which are the culmination of over 20 years’ experience and expertise in managing alarms. These solutions, powered by the Processvue Alarm Management Suite, provide key personnel who manage alarms with clear, relevant and prioritized alarm information for operational, planning and compliance needs based on globally recognized alarm management standards.
This solution is designed to meet the requirements of a broad range of industries, including Oil & Gas, Power Generation, Pharmaceutical and general manufacturing.
The suite is powerful, yet simple to use at all levels. Operational intelligence for control room to KPI’s for the board room. Used for simple Sequence of Event recording to full EEMUA 191 / ISA 18.2 based KPI reporting.
ProcessVue Sequence of Events
ProcessVue SOE (Sequence of Events) is the foundation of the Alarm Management Suite. It collects alarm and event messages from multiple disparate systems and consolidates them into an industry standard SQL database. An easy to use yet powerful web based client is included to view, search and filter the messages. This alarm management solution provides a unified view of all your Alarm & Event data.
Advanced Search and Filtering
Our search and filtering tools provide the ability to isolate specific alarms or events for cause and effect analysis. Filter on any element of the message by type, priority, plant area, unit etc. The Filter lists are exclusively built so only the data in the current view is shown. Frequently used filters can be saved to your personal favorites list for quick access.
Extensive alarm & event routing system
Recognize important alarm / events and configure actions when they occur such as an email or send the alarm to a third party Alarm Notification application. Populate another database though an ODBC interface.
Frequency analysis with distribution drill-down
Identify your most frequent occurring alarms. Click on any displayed alarm to show its distribution over the selected time period.
Export data to industry standard formats such as Excel, CSV, RTF and PDF at the click of a button.
Look-up table functionality
Add missing or additional information to your alarm messages using an Excel sheet and our Look-up function.
Create rules to monitor incoming data. Capture metering reports, recognize Trip events and automatically export data when they occur.
Digitally signs each message upon receipt ensuring data integrity and authenticity. Any attempt at tampering with data will be exposed.
Powerful & flexible parsing engine
Allows manipulation of any alarm & event data from any system. Normalize data across disparate systems.
Built on the foundations of the SOE system; ProcessVue Analyzer enhances the easy to use Web Client by adding real-time dashboards and a reporting engine based on industry best practices and standards. ProcessVue Analyzer is a valuable tool in any alarm improvement project enabling rapid identification of Bad Actors and can even suggest changes to alarm settings that will positively impact alarm loads.
Analysis based on industry standards & guidelines.
ProcessVue Analyzer is aligned with the most recognized standards and guidelines such as:
- EEMUA 191
- ISA 18.2
- IEC 62682
- BS 62682.
Sequence of Events
All the functionality of the ProcessVue SOE product which gives you full control of the Sequence of Events.
- Search and Filter on any field
- Leave comments on any alarm or event
- Expand on filtered results to create cause & effect lists
- Export to Excel and PDF
Enhanced frequency analysis
In addition to the already feature rich frequency analysis tool found in ProcessVue SOE; Analyzer enhances this with the following:
- Perform analysis on the entire data range (SOE is limited to the last 250k messages)
- Fast analysis on any tag using an interactive tag search function
ProcessVue Analyzer introduces a set of unique real-time dashboards with graphical representations of the current alarm performance. The dashboards automatically update giving you the latest performance information without touching a mouse!
- Real-time dashboards show alarm performance over the last 24 hr, 7 days, 30 days and 6 months.
- The 24 hour dashboard also calculates and displays the current EEMUA 191 performance, Active, Stale and Shelved alarm counts.
- The Dashboards are also available in a report format, giving you the power to generate these reports when needed.
Comprehensive collection of reports
ProcessVue Analyzer introduces a powerful yet easy to use reporting engine accompanied by a comprehensive set of standard reports:
- Alarms by Tag
- Alarms by Tag whilst shelved
- Interventions by Tag
- Shelved by Tag
- Acknowledgements by tag
- Alarm Actions by Tag
- Alarm Pattern
- Alarm Duration summary
- Alarm Duration detail
- Flood duration detail
- Operator Response summary
- Alarm Rates
- Alarm Performance
- Active Alarms
- Stale Alarms
- Shelved Alarms
- Chattering Alarms
- Fleeting Alarms
- Clean Alarms
- Alarm Status
Report data can be refined using an easy to use filtering system. For example, you can apply a filter to the frequency analysis report to give you just the top 10 priority 1 alarms, or priority one alarms from a particular plant area or unit.
- Apply filters to the reports using Include and/or Exclude controls
- Filter by Tag, Description, Priority, Plant, Plant Area, Unit and many more
- Save popular or heavily used filters for later use
- Link popular reports to a button on the interface for quick access
- Apply saved filters to automated reports
- Edit the filters using simple SQL code
Fully automated reporting engine
The reporting engine also comes with a fully automated scheduler as standard. This allows you automatically generate any report or group of reports at any time of day. Want to know what alarms are on the shelf at shift change over? – No problem.
- Fully programmable report scheduler.
- Schedule a single report or groups of multiple reports.
- Automatically print, store or email the reports.
- Automatically apply your pre-defined filters to the generated reports.
As one component of MAC Solutions’ suite of alarm management software; ProcessVue Guardian integrates a Master Alarm Database and a set of Alarm Rationalization tools with comprehensive Management of Change functionality, into a single powerful application to help you meet your alarm management challenges.
Developed in accordance with current alarm management standards and guidelines; ProcessVue Guardian will help you to manage your alarm improvement program in compliance with your regulatory or corporate commitments.
ProcessVue Guardian’s simple, intuitive, web based client interface is cross bowser and platform compatible, has been carefully designed for ease of use and is accessible to multiple concurrent users. With a comprehensive set of configurable options, ProcessVue Guardian can be tailored to fit your site’s individual alarm management and management of change requirements.
Master Alarm Database (MAD)
One of the requirements for any well managed alarm system is the provision of a comprehensive, current, Master Alarm Database. This is the authorized list of all alarms on your site.
Your MAD contains not just the basic tag and alarm information extracted from your control system configuration, but also supporting information such as:
- Potential cause of the alarm and consequence of not responding to it
- Time to consequence and operator response time or urgency
- Operator action(s) to be carried out in response to the alarm
- Basis of alarm design and set-point selection
- P&ID and / or Cause and Effects references
At the core of ProcessVue Guardian is a powerful, flexible database structure based on industry standard SQL technology; which is used to house all the parameters and information you require to support the management of alarms on your site.
- Not limited by the number of alarm systems or tags
- Data from multiple disparate sources can be easily imported regardless of format (e.g. csv, xls, text), including data files generated direct from your control system
- Regardless of the source, data are accessed and displayed in a common format
In addition to retaining all your alarm configuration and associated data, ProcessVue Guardian:
- Can be used to create an Alarm Response Manual for each alarm system in the MAD.
Rationalization is the process of applying the requirements for an alarm and generating the supporting documentation, such as the basis for the alarm set-point, the consequence, and corrective action that can be taken by the operator”. (IEC 62682 – 184.108.40.206).
Ensuring your alarm population is relevant and useful, is fundamental to good alarm management; and ProcessVue Guardian includes all the tools you require to rationalize the alarms in your Master Alarm Database (MAD).
In practice, this means reviewing every single alarm in your MAD to determine its suitability and priority in a structured manner, generally by considering the consequence of not responding to the alarm and the time available to carry out the corrective action. The results of these reviews are documented and stored along with the original configuration data in the MAD.
The benefits of a properly rationalized alarm population are:
- Increased regulatory and corporate compliance
- Improved operating environment through a reduction of nuisance alarms
- Improved operational effectiveness which benefits your ‘bottom line’
In order to rationalize your alarms efficiently, you will need as a minimum to define a prioritization method, tables of consequence and operator response time. ProcessVue Guardian has been designed to include:
- Multiple customizable prioritization methods based on recognized methodologies
- Configurable consequence and operator response tables and priority matrices
ProcessVue Guardian’s other key features include:
- Structured workflow to guide you through the rationalization process
- Control system independent
- Multiple sources may be imported including data in configuration files generated from your control system
- Definition of multiple projects for each control system
- Powerful, flexible template driven structure which is customizable to suit each system
- Multiple templates can be defined for each system
- Includes bulk edit and copy functionality to streamline and speed up the rationalization process
Recognizing the importance of ensuring that the alarm configuration has been updated in the control system correctly, the following features have also been included in ProcessVue Guardian:
- Rationalized alarm data can be exported in a machine readable format suitable for your system, thus minimizing human intervention and the possibility of introducing errors.
- Updated control system files can be imported into the ProcessVue Guardian for comparison with the rationalized data, thus ensuring confidence that the thousands of changes have been implemented without error
Management of Change (MoC)
It is widely recognized throughout the process industries that making changes to assets can be prone to error; and indeed, some plant accidents and incidents have been attributed to poorly executed or unapproved changes. Because of this, alarm systems come under the same level of scrutiny as any other asset during an audit or following an incident.
Recognizing that managing change in a structured manner is essential in today’s process industries in order to reduce risk and guard personnel safety, ProcessVue Guardian has been developed to meet a variety of needs; and features:
- Built in flexibility to adapt to your MoC requirements
- Designed to support MoC across a wide variety of applications
- Multiple customizable templates to match your requirements
- Meets your needs for alarm management and beyond
- A fully managed workflow
- A comprehensive audit trail of all changes
- The ability to review, sign, approve or reject any changes
- Revision control for all changes
- The ability to revert to earlier revisions if required
- A notification system to keep users up to date with changes and any outstanding tasks
In order to ensure that change is managed appropriately, according to your site’s procedures; ProcessVue Guardian has been designed around:
- Comprehensive allocation of privileges to user roles
- Each user can be allocated more than one role per project, selected from:
Changes to alarms are often complicated by having the change information (if documented), scattered throughout the organization in various formats with different people / roles / responsibilities. Therefore, ProcessVue Guardian supports:
- Multiple standard ‘office’ formats for data import, export and reports
As the security of your data is paramount, careful consideration has been given to the operational aspects of ProcessVue Guardian, key features of which are:
- No loss or corruption of data due to unexpected browser termination when modifying information
- Utilization of a digital signature, to provide a tamper evident database design to ensure the integrity of your data